Friday, March 28, 2014

I've been busy, really

The biggest hurdle was piecing the back of the Under the Stars quilt.  Silly me, I just assumed that the yardage "package" sold at the Craftsy site was the correct amount needed for the entire back, but when I went to measure it out realized that, yikes, it was only 4 yards. Then I thought, Oh, that must be a mistake and went to look on the site - nope, they sold it in 4 yard increments. Grrrr!. Well, then I thought that I would just use up my scraps from the front and make a special back, because that's where the love is. Which turned out to be a lot of fun.

Then, after carefully lining up the the verticals I pin basted. So, then, what to quilt? I didn't want to do stitch in the ditch, because, as Weeks Ringle says in her Craftsy course, it is a wasted opportunity to add something more to your quilt. And since I'm doing Leah Day's Building Block free motion quilt along, I felt inspired to try to free motion flowers on the stars and curves along the red squares. I did initially SITD the main blocks to hold everything together, but I used wash away thread, so that it came out when washed.

 Here is the result.
Front


Back

Back without flash to try to see quilting

Front

Front,  can't see quilting on red squares

Back, quilting over piecing

Front, quilting on squares!
 Now, all that's left is to label it and ship it off to my parents. Whew!

I also am finally caught up on Amy Gibson's 2014 Sugar Block Club! Yay!

January

February

March
Holy Smokes! These were fun to make! Especially after "stressing out" about my fabric choices. In the end I went with a darker second background. We'll see how that plays out.

And finally, not quite done with all of Leah's blocks for March.
The white fabric all looks pink in these photos.




Wonky circles, Grrr


This one is still on the machine



This one is still pinned.
Here's the link back to Leah's Friday Link-up.

And I am so slowly piecing together the blocks of Bonnie Celtic Solstice.

I'll also link up to Cat Patches New FO Challenge, when it goes live on Monday.

Off to quilt!

6 comments:

  1. Love the under the stars quilt, great pieced back. Your quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful work. And the colors are so uplifting. We're all in need of some color after this long winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job on the star quilt and great use of leftovers on the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smile - at Weeks saying SITD is a wasted opportunity! I need to remember that! But SITD is good for anchoring the blocks. Your quilting works so nicely with your stars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have been busy. I really like the Star quilt ...and the back is inspiring. I always shy away from piecing the back, really need to try this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pieced quilt back. Sometimes not having enough fabric is serendipity for design's sake. I did Weeks Ringle's class too and loved it. Right now I am quilting 12.5 blocks for a QAYG project (Soy Amado) where someone else puts them together. So I browse Leah's filler designs and pick one and practice. 12.5 inches is just right. Also like your March block--haven't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete